Knee pain ( Keel vayu )
- Pain in the knee occurs due to derangement of Pitta initially. The deranged Pitta then dries up the lubricating fluid present in the joint, leading to restricted movement & swelling.
- Hot fomentation can create adverse effects if there is local warmth over the swelling, hence application of a poultice made of Triphala powder along with sufficient rest, works wonders.
- If this deranged Pitta is left unattended, slowly it may vitiate the other two dosha’s and produce associated symptoms.
Suggestions from Dr. J
- If there is excess of Vata there will be pain without swelling. Puravazhaiyam ( Oil pooling ) & Thokkanam ( Physical Manipulation Therapy ) using Vishamushti oil is excellent in relieving pain.
- If there is excess of Kapha ( Degenerative joint disease ) there will be pain & mild swelling, with the absence of local warmth . Mooligai Ottradam ( Warm Herbal Fomentation ) is very effective in Degenerative joint disease.
- One of the best & potent oral compound drug for osteoarthritis mentioned in Agasthiar Vaidhya Kaviyam – 1500 is Gowri Chinthamani Chendooram (GCC), which should be taken with Trikadugu Choornam & honey.
Osteo Arthritis - self care includes :
- Intake of fresh fruits, green vegetables, low salt diet & fiber rich foods.
- Since foods like potato, capsicum, tomato, dairy products, oily foods / acid forming foods aggravates the pain, better to avoid them
- Likewise, since habits like alcohol & smoking aggravates the pain, better to give them up.
- Consistent practise of isometric knee exercises & quadriceps strengthening exercises prevents further complications of osteoarthritis.