Frozen Shoulder ( KUMBA VATA )
- Due to excess of Vata dosha, there is intense pain & hence shoulder range of motion is dramatically reduced. Healing is a long slow process hovering between periods of pain and restricted shoulder movement.
Suggestions from Dr. J
- Treatment includes Thokkanam ( Physical Manipulation Therapy ) with Vathakesari oil, followed by Ottradam ( Warm herbal fomentation ).
Shoulder self-care includes:
- Keeping the shoulder active prevents progression of this malady.
- Lift both shoulders upward & hold for 1- 2 seconds, gently lower the shoulders to the resting position. ( 10 - 20 repetitions of shoulder shrug exercise )
- Interlock fingers and slowly raise the arms above your head, hold for 1-2 seconds & then lower the arms gently ( 10 - 20 repetitions of Tadasana )